The easiest way to connect a Chromebook with a TV or monitor is using the HDMI cable.
However, most Chromebooks don’t have an HDMI port.
If you look at this, it only has type C port and no HDMI; well, in that case, you can buy a type C-to-HDMI adapter and connect them.
If you want to do that, go to Settings > Device > Display, and here you will see a bunch of options to customise your mirroring. Select Mirror built in-display to start mirroring (and not extended)
And then you can share both your Chromebook screen and video with the TV.
But what if you want to connect Chromebook to TV wirelessly?
Be it your Android, Fire TV stick, or regular TV, this video will show you how to connect your Chromebook to your TV even without the HDMI cable or port.
Android TV and Chromecast Devices
If your TV supports Chromecast (by the way, all Android TVs do), then you can directly use the built-in Chromecast option on your Chromebook to start mirroring your display. Here’s how you can do that.
1. Open Chrome browser in Chromebook and click on the three-dot menu at the top right corner.
2. Select the Cast option from the list.
3. This will show a small pop-up with the Chromecast devices available around you. Just click on your TV to connect your Chromebook to the TV.
4. You can also select the Sources dropdown menu to choose whether you want to Cast tab, Cast desktop, or Cast file before selecting the TV to share only that.
5. To make the process easier next time, click on the three-dot menu and select cast now when the pop-up shows, right-click on the Chromecast logo at the top.
6. Now select the Always show icon option.
7. This will make the cast icon stay on top of your browser all the time so you can access it easily.
However, the downside is that not all TVs support Chromecast, but if you are using an Android TV, Google TV, or even a Chromecast, you are good to do. But guess what, even if you have Fire TV stick, which a lot of you do, you can do it too.
Though Fire TV technically supports Chromecast, the process isn’t as simple you get on with as, say, Android or Google TV. Here’s how you can connect Chromebook to Fire TV.
Now, the only difference between Android TV and Fire TV is that you cannot mirror on the Fire TV without enabling the display mirroring option first.
1. To start screen mirroring, open Fire TV Settings from the home page.
2. On the Settings menu, select the Display & Audio option.
3. Now select Enable Display Mirroring which will open a waiting page to start screen mirroring from other devices. Don’t leave this page just yet or you will have to begin again.
4. Now, on your Chromebook, click on the three-dot menu > Cast and select the TV just like on the Chromecast option.
5. That’s it, now you will see your Chromebook screen on your TV.
If you are using a TV that isn’t Android or Fire TV then you are out of luck because Chromecast won’t work. Though LG TV supports Chromecast, it is only capable of streaming media from YouTube. One of the easiest options is to get a Chromecast which is cheaper than Android TV or Fire TV sticks. Just connect Chromecast to your TV’s HDMI port and start mirroring Chromebook’s display on the TV with the same Cast option as we did in the previous method.
Wrapping up, if you already have an Android TV, Google TV, Fire TV, or any Chromecast device on you, you should use them. But if you are looking to get one then consider the HDMI option. It will not only mirror your Chromebook but you can also use TV as an extended display.
That’s pretty much it, also check out our videos on various tips and tricks.
As always, thanks for reading and watching, and subscribe to our YouTube channel to get notified about new videos.
See you in the next one!
BACK TO NEWS